Saturday, January 26, 2013

In the past two years...

Cliche as it might sound, I suppose the new year is a time for contemplation and reflection. It has been 2 years since my last post. A quick update then.

  • Blogger has added tons of new features
  • Finally graduated from yet another school, a total of which I do not care to tally
  • Spent some time in India
  • Moved into the hippiest part of town
Surprisingly, much remains unchanged. So here I am again, back home. Convincing myself, with much effort, that security and stability are important. A conflicted state of being aptly captured by ' The Shortest Way Home.' 

Although a good read, the ending was nothing short of a massive truck coming down the freeway. I'm not sure why authors of great imagination would sell themselves short by ending an otherwise great story with a fairytale like non-bang.

Let's take a moment and think about it. The reader who picks up a book obviously feels some sort of a connection with the struggles of the protagonist. How disappointed is it for the reader to be sitting there after having read the book, where the character has resolved all of his struggles, and the reader is left stewing in the same struggle - except unresolved. You would think that an 'all is well with the world' ending  serves to lift up the spirit, but in this case, stew I did.  Nothing has changed for me, the reader, in the 3-4 days it took to read the book.

Okay, fine. It took 2 weeks to finish reading the book. I do have a full-time job, you know. Perhaps let's add another bullet to the list above.

  • Turned into a skeptic 

No comments: